- Wendela van den Broek |
It was a long time coming, but according to a report by FashionMag.com Raf Simons is officially starting his work as creative director at Calvin Klein on August 2. The news has yet to be officially confirmed by Calvin Klein.
Simons, who left Dior in October of last year after three years at the house, had been rumoured to be Calvin Klein’s new hire for months, but confirmation of the news took some time as his non-compete clause was in effect until July. Calvin Klein himself hinted as much in June, saying at the time that the designer was still under contractual obligation.
Simons is replacing Francisco Costa, who left Calvin Klein in April of this year. His first order of business will be to focus on developing the CK Jeans line, breathe new life into the brand’s image and to reorganise its fashion shows.
It is a tall order for Simons, who won over the fashion world with his work for couture house Dior. Calvin Klein has, in recent years, been less about couture and high fashion, and more about selling underwear and fragrance.
Some fashion industry insiders are wondering whether hiring Simons is in the best interest of the brand. The Calvin Klein Collection, the luxury portion of the brand for which Simons will also be responsible, represents only a small portion of the business with revenues of 6 to 8 million dollars per year. Simons’ remuneration is expected to be 18 million dollars a year, and The New York Post recently published an article in which it questioned the company’s plans in light of Simon’s enormous price tag.
”It’s an enormous contract,” one insider told the paper, “ and it makes you wonder what PVH plans to do with the collection.” Said another: “Whatever PVH is doing with Raf is a total waste if it doesn’t hire more people. You don’t go into luxury with just one person.”
That Calvin Klein is planning an overhaul is clear. Its old team of designers was dismissed and a new team of designers is expected to replace them, FashionMag writes.
Foto: Raf Simons/Facebook